Before, rice cookers didn’t suit frugal consumers. With tight competition and advancement in technology, these consumers can easily choose the best cheap rice cooker that can cook fluffy grains even if they left the appliance unattended.
When it comes to this type of appliance, you don’t need high-end, most expensive models on the market. Even if you cook rice multiple times each week, cheaper models can still do the trick of giving you fluffy, well-cooked rice each time.
If you’re looking for a rice cooker that won’t put a hole in your pocket, then these cheap rice cookers can ensure that the rice you’re preparing would be ready in no time.
Editor’s Choice: Top 5 Cheap Rice Cooker
Listed below are our top picks for the most affordable rice cookers on the market.
#1 Aroma Housewares ARC-914SBD Rice Grain Cooker and Food Steamer
Whether entertaining crowds at home is your hobby or you have a large family, then your kitchen needs a digital rice cooker. Yes, the Aroma Cool Touch food steamer and Rice Cooker will fix any type of rice and give enough delicious meals. Packed with many convenient features this multipurpose unit is all you need.
Regarding capacity, it perfectly cooks 8 cups of already cooked rice. Its specialized functions work well on all varieties like brown or white. The design is intended to make life easy because it automatically switches to its “Maintain Warm” mode when the rice is completely cooked. There is no need to monitor the food’s progress or stir to attain proper cooking.
This unit functions not only as a rice cooker but it also steams vegetables, fish, and meat. The best thing is that it steams the other meals when rice continues cooking. The Flash Rice functionality reduces cooking time thus meals get ready faster. The incorporated Unique Sensor allows the unit to make logic choices. So, it can think alone and optimize the cooking temperatures and improve meals flavor and give soft textures.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Large enough capacity.
- Extra convenient accessories included.
- Beeps loudly
- Fails to cook sometimes
#2 BLACK+DECKER RC3303 1.5-Cup Dry/3-Cup
Large families looking to get a rice cooker undoubtedly need one with enough volume. The Black+Decker Rice Cooker is a suitable unit thanks to the ability to carry 8 cups of unprepared rice. This capacity will translate to 16 cups after cooking and this good for everyone. Apart from that, it has many desirable features making it gain popularity in the market.
The keep-warm function activates automatically when the rice cooks fully. This feature helps in keeping the warmth of the food for extended periods. That way you will not end up serving cold or tasteless rice. Also, preparing your meat, fish, and veggies has become quick thanks to the convenient steaming basket. Soups and oatmeal will cook well in this cooker too.
Its featured indicator lights glow with different colors for you to know when the unit is cooking or keeping warm. Using this model is very easy, simply add rice, water, and other ingredients then press the button. Within 20 minutes you will have your delicious fluffy rice ready.
- Good for large-sized families.
- Packed with excellent functions.
- Dishwasher cleanup.
- The tips on its manual must be read to make your rice.
- Breaks down over time.
- Overpriced for average consumers
#3 Oster 6-Cup Rice Cooker with Steam Tray
Amidst the busy lives people live today, buying compact, reasonably priced and extremely versatile kitchen appliances is ideal. If you have a small-sized family then Oster 6-cup rice cooker is worth to invest in. with a 3 cups capacity of unprepared rice and 6 cups when coked everyone will get a meal to consume. Besides, you can steam vegetables using the included 1liter vegetable steamer.
The design works best if you prefer cooking smaller meals frequently. The unit is versatile because other than rice, it can also cook stews, soups, and whole grains such as barley and quinoa. The integrated steamer works well for vegetables, fish, and meats.
This rice cooker has an automatic warmth keeping function to maintain the warmth I the meals for long. The automatic shutoff makes it ideal if you are busy because no food will burn. Buying it means getting other handy tools including a scratch-resistant ice paddle and a measuring cup.
It makes life easy and cuts the stress concerning cleaning after cooking. The steaming tray and non-stick pot are quickly removed and tossed to the dishwasher.
- Good size for smaller families.
- Simple to use.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Equipped with convenient accessories.
- Full capacity rice makes it messy.
- Not equipped with a timer
- Only its measuring cup to be used.
#4 Hamilton Beach (37518) Rice Cooker
Well, the truth is that at times the needs to cook rice are not elaborate even if frequent. For this matter, all you need to settle for is a budget-friendly and functional appliance. The Hamilton Beach Rice and Hot Cereal Cooker will prove useful as it prepares speedy rice and removes a lot of pressure when making meals. Even better, you will not only enjoy well-cooked rice alone but also with the whole family and friends. It holds up to four cups of unprepared rice thus suitable for serving small to medium-sized families.
Designed with multiple modern features, the model looks beautiful, simple and efficient. One amazing feature is the changeable temperature settings. This is flexibility here as you get to choose the temperature you wish your ingredients should cook at. All you need is add rice in the pot and just toss the switch and see the unit work and deliver superb rice in no time while handling other chores. When the cooking cycle is over it automatically starts the Warm phase to keep the meal warm until it is served.
Its two in one basket is multi-purpose because it helps in rinsing the rice before it is cooked or for steaming zucchini or salmon for accompanying your rice. This machine is suitable for any kitchen size thanks to its space-saving compact design.
- Easy to clean
- Simple one-touch functionality
- Dishwasher safe parts
- Limited cooking options
- Predefined cooking functions.
- Short power cord.
#5 Proctor Silex 37534NR Rice Cooker
If all you need is a unit that enables you to prepare a lot of rice without frequently checking it or standing in the kitchen for long, then considering the Proctor Silex 37534NR Rice Cooker is an ideal option. Of course, by the end of the cooking session, you enjoy a properly-cooked meal with only one push on a button.
The appliance is packed with enough features to do the job. Equipped with an automated keep-warm function that makes the food to stay warm up to twelve hours. The cooking settings in this rice cooker enables it to monitor itself. Through the entire cooking process, it will ensure that the meals get cooked as expected.
The best thing about owning this unit is that it allows you to cook other meals too. You can enjoy hot grains and cereals as well and to facilitate cooking. What is more, cleaning this unit is very easy. The removable inner pot, lid, and accessories are completely washable. Simply put in the top-rack of your dishwasher and enjoy more convenience.
- Easy to use.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Excellent features
- Enough for cooking family meals.
- Not programmable
- Only its measuring cup is used.
- No calibrations in the pan
Is it worth buying a rice cooker?
- Of course, if you cook rice often then getting a high-quality rice cooker is vital. The appliance is surprisingly among the most versatile kitchen equipment. Not only will it save time but also it makes eating delicious and healthy meals easier. So, investing in one is worth it.
How much does a rice cooker cost?
- Like any other home equipment, the price of rice cookers falls between two extremes. You will find high-priced and low-cost types. The main reason behind this variation is that there are many brands that offer competitive prices. The features included in a unit will determine how much you spend on it. Therefore, research the model you want if it has the exact features then consider paying for it.
Is it safe to use a scratched rice cooker?
- Rice cookers are usually coated using Teflon. The layer is safe and is prone to becoming scratched or even overheated. The reason is the frequent exposure to high temperatures or even impacts. If this material gets scratched, some of its particles chip off. The pieces are likely to leak out from the pot to the cooked food. The good news is that such damages bring no health threat when passed through the human body. So, there is no hazard in using it.
Is cooking rice in a rice cooker healthy?
- Despite the many concerns around the safety of how rice is cooked, there is no reason to fear when changing your kitchen equipment. And yes, cooking or heating food using rice cookers is not unsafe for your health. The unit is a suitable and healthy way of getting food ready quickly. The steaming method used on vegetables, rice or even beans is a fine cooking method as well. So never hesitate to buy one and enjoy the convenience of fast cooked foods in a rice cooker.
What else can I cook in a rice cooker?
- Kitchen appliances should always offer a lot of versatility. The best rice cookers thus should not only allow you to cook rice only but also have the capability of cooking additional foodstuff. This means you will be saving much of your space, time, and effort. Buying units that have steam baskets means you can steam other foodstuffs simultaneously when rice is cooking. For instance, fish, vegetables, and meat.