There are hundreds of rice cookers being offered for sale in the market nowadays and it is not easy to determine which among the many brands out there can give you the satisfaction that you need. For this reason, we built a site that can give you the best and unbiased reviews about the best rice cookers that you can find online so you can readily decide which is best for you and your family.
After a thorough study of the all the top rice cookers, the following brands came up as our top 5 choices:
Top 5 Types of Rice Cooker Reviews
1. Japanese rice Cooker – Zojirushi
The Zojirushi rice cooker is ideal for anybody who wants to have perfect steam rice anytime. Its hi-tech computer fuzzy logic feature makes sure that rice is always cooked evenly so problems with undercooked or overcooked rice are a thing of the past. Dependability is also not an issue as it has a stainless cooking pan that for added longevity. Whether you prefer white, brown or mixed rice cooking, you can do it all with Zojirushi rice cooker.
This Zojirushi rice cooker review is meant to help you decide if this product is ideal for your household use.
To start off, let us look at the salient features of Zojirushi rice cooker and Warmer.
- Computerized Fuzzy logic feature – This hi-tech feature allows you to cook rice evenly all the time. No burned, overcooked or undercooked rice can be expected when you have this feature in a rice cooker. Perfect for beginners in cooking rice of all kinds.
- Keep warm – This feature prevents rice from cooling so you can have hot or warm rice all the time. This is ideal for people who are busy and want to have ready to eat warm rice anytime.
- Retractable power cord– No more messy power cord obstructing or getting in the way of other kitchen tools. With a retractable feature, the power cord can be neatly tucked in the unit.
- Menu settings – This model comes with settings feature which allows you to select the type of cooking you need to do. Choose from white, brown, mixed rice, porridge, sushi, or quick cooking settings to make it easy for you.
- Spherical cooking pan – This feature helps to cook rice evenly by distributing the heat evenly in the pan.
- Easy to clean – With detachable lid, this rice cooker is easy to wash so you can make sure that it is thoroughly cleaned before using it again.
- Stainless steel – With stainless steel body, you can be assured that this rice cooker is for long term use. There is no need to worry about rust that can damage the body or corrode other parts.
The design says a lot about this rice cooker and it is not like other standard units you can find in the market design and features wise. Some brands let off steam when the rice is cooking but this model has none of that so you can make sure that cooking is neat and easy. The unit’s fuzzy logic system also helps a lot in making sure that rice is cooked perfectly all the time so there is no need to worry.
Possibly the only thing that can concern a buyer is the price of Zojirushi rice cooker. But considering that it is a Japanese brand and has a well established image worldwide especially in terms of quality and dependability, a lot of buyers are willing to overlook this price difference with other perceived to be less dependable brands in the market.
2. Cooker for Daily Use –Aroma
There is more than meets the eye with this small to medium capacity rice cooker. It has digital functions that allow you to select the type of rice you want cooked and also boasts of a steamer that lets you steam other food while cooking rice at the same time. Its 15-hour delay timer is perfect for people who want to have warm rice ready in the morning or in the evening when they arrive from work.
Aroma is one of the brands known for best rice cookers for everyday use. It is an ideal kitchen equipment both for small and large family and has enough versatility to perform other useful functions as well. This digital rice cooker has many functions that make it superior to its competitors and therefore the choice of many households.
If you are the type of family who considers rice as part of their everyday, staple food, we highly recommend Aroma ARC-914SBD which has a capacity of cooking 2-8 cups of rice. It is not only a digital rice cooker but a functional food steamer as well.
FEATURES OF AROMA RICE COOKER
- Small to medium capacity – whether you prefer to cook just one cup or four cups of uncooked rice, Aroma rice cooker can do it for you. It is therefore versatile enough to accommodate the needs of a single person or the entire family.
- Steamer function – Aside from cooking your favorite rice, it can also be used as a steamer. You can steam vegetables, meat and other foods while it is cooking rice at the same time.
- Digital controls – The unit comes with settings in the form of buttons where you can select what type of rice to cook. You can select either white or brown rice buttons to ensure that you can have the perfect cook for your choice rice.
- 15-hour delay timer – It has a programmable delay timer of up to 15 hours so you can make the preparation for the next meal without delay. This is perfect for those who need to go to the office or somewhere and want the rice cooked and ready when they return in the evening.
- Non-stick feature – Cleaning the cooking pot is difficult if the rice cooker does not have non-stick feature. With non-stick cooking bowl, cleaning is as easy as wiping the remaining rice with no need to submerge the bowl in water for hours to soften the rice.
- The very first thing that readily attracts the customers with this Aroma rice cooker is the price. It is priced very reasonably and therefore within the budget of almost anybody wanting to buy a rice cooker.
- Next is the durability as well as quality of this model. It does the job perfectly and also comes with digital functions that help a lot in making it a versatile and dependable product.
- Lastly, the advanced timer is something that can be very useful especially if you are already tired for a long day’s work and just want to have food ready and hot in the evening.
Perhaps the only bad thing that can be said about this Aroma rice cooker is that you have to be careful not to scratch the cooking pot with a pointed metal object as it can damage the non-stick feature. But since most of the rice cookers have the same issue, it seems not reason enough to shy away from this rice cooker.
If you are looking for the best rice cooker for everyday use then Aroma rice cooker and food steamer is an ideal choice. It comes with a reasonable pricing and packed with useful features at the same time.
3. Small Rice Cooker – Panasonic
Ideal for small families or single people, the Panasonic small rice cooker is the best choice if you want to cook rice fast and easy. It has a see-through top cover for easy checking and non-stick feature so cleaning is never a problem. It is also economical when it comes to consumption of electricity so no worries about your electric bills.
From Panasonic, one of the leaders in small appliance technology comes a rice cooker that is ideal for single people and small families. Panasonic SR 1-1/2 Rice Cooker is perfect for singles and couples who are always on the go and do not need the hassle of experimenting with how to traditionally cook rice. With a rice cooker, it makes things easier and allows you to do other things while the rice is being cooked automatically. While there are a lot of rice cookers in the same category, this Panasonic model stands out of the others because of some important features.
- Non-stick – The cooking pan is aluminum that is heavily coated to make sure that it is stick-free making the pan very easy to clean.
- See-through lid – This model comes with a tempered glass top cover to let you see what is going on with your rice when cooking. This makes monitoring easier and can let you anticipate when the rice is fully cooked.
- Auto-on and off feature – This automatic feature helps you save on electricity because the rice cooker automatically turns off when the rice is fully cooked.
- Indicator light – The indicator light helps you know even from a distance if the rice cooker is still cooking the rice. It can help in case you want to add something or to steam food on top of the rice while it is being cooked.
- Low power consumption – The benefit of using a small rice cooker with not so many features helps in saving electricity.
One of the best things going for this Panasonic rice cooker is its basic operation that suits the needs of most small families. It is perfect for one to three persons and does the job required of it in a fairly easy manner. It has no fancy features that most of the time makes the unit expensive. It is ideal for single people who are always on the go and wants to make sure at the same time that everything is consumed so no stale rice is left in the house. Lastly, the durability of this model is something that should be highlighted. I will do its job over and over again and therefore can last for years.
The only glaring disadvantage that can be mentioned about this rice cooker model is the absence of a warmer or keep warm feature. But since it is meant for a single serving of rice each time, it may not really be necessary and can only serve to add to the price in most cases.
If you are looking for a rice cooker that has basic features and can remain functional for years, then Panasonic SR 1-1/2 Rice Cooker is the best small rice cooker for you. It has received outstanding reviews from a lot of customers both online and offline so it only goes to show that it is perfect for the kind of job it is tasked to do.
4. Stainless Steel Rice Cooker – Oyama
For the discriminating, the top choice is Oyama stainless steel rice cooker. It has an all stainless steel body and cooking pan so worries about rust and corrosion are totally out of the picture. The bottom of the pan is made thicker so there are no problems about burnt rice at the bottom. It also has a hi-tech 3-dimensional heating system that cooks rice evenly from top to bottom. Aside from cooking rice, it can also serve as steamer for vegetables, meat, dumplings and other food preparations.
When it comes to stainless steel rice cooker, Oyama is the brand that is the choice of many customers. The Oyama All Stainless Steel 10 Cup rice Cooker/Warmer is a special kitchen equipment meant not just to cook rice but also to satisfy the discriminating taste of a lot of people. Unlike other rice cooker brands with Teflon used on cooking pans for non-stick feature, this model has no Teflon stickers and therefore unique in many respects.
The Oyama All Stainless Steel 10 Cup rice Cooker/Warmer is a very good choice for any household that needs a durable and longer lasting rice cooker. It has features that are designed to make it last longer and that is why it is considered as one of the best rice cookers nowadays.
- All-Stainless steel– The cooking pan, steamer, and even the inner lid are all made from durable stainless material. This ensures that the unit will be rust and corrosion free for life. It makes this model very durable and can last for many years with proper handling.
- Triple-layered cooking pan bottom – the secret to cooking rice properly is to have a cooking pan with thick bottom. Oyama wants to help you cook rice properly so they made the cooking bowl bottom a lot thicker.
- Multi- cooking function – Aside from cooking rice, you can also steam meat, vegetables, and other food preparations such as different kinds of dumplings. The unit comes with a stainless steamer so you can be sure that it is safe to use for steaming food.
- 3-Dimensional heating – This advanced feature distributes the heat all over the cooking pan and makes sure that the rice is evenly cooked. There will be no instances where the rice is burned or overcooked in the bottom while it is undercooked on top. This feature is perfect for beginners in rice cooking and also those who do not want to constantly monitor how the rice is cooked by the unit.
One of the best things going for this Oyama rice cooker model is its fast cooking time. It can finish cooking rice in just about 30 minutes and this helps a lot in saving electricity if you will pull the plug once the rice is cooked. It is also one of the few rice cooker brands that has an all-stainless feature which is a feature highly sought after by a lot of homemakers because it can last a lifetime if used properly. Another is very easy operation that makes using the unit a breeze. Finally, the price is reasonable and can even be considered a bargain given its solid and useful features.
The power cord is a bit short if you have other small kitchen equipment near the electrical outlet. But if the outlet is placed lower or the rice cooker is placed near it then you will have no problem with this minor issue. Another is the absence of an off switch which makes you pull the plug if you do not intend to keep the cooked rice warm for hours.
5. Cooker with Added Feature-Hamilton Beach
When you are looking for versatility in a rice cooker, Hamilton Beach is the best choice as it can cook not only different types of rice but also boil, simmer, steam, and cook other food preparations. Its large capacity makes it ideal for a big family and with a keep warm feature, you can be sure to eat warm rice each time. Hamilton Beach has digital features so you only need to push a button and it will do the rest. Rice is evenly cooked each time regardless of whether you want to cook only 2 or even 20 cups.
Versatility is an integral part of Hamilton Beach Digital Simplicity Rice Cooker. It is one of the select kitchen equipment that can perform several tasks aside from cooking rice thus making it a must for every kitchen. Lots of satisfied buyers have already given positive reviews about the usefulness of this product and it is one of the many reasons why it continues to enjoy brisk sales.
- One-touch Cooking – With digital features, all you need is a touch of a button and this rice cooker will do the rest. Automatically cooks and keep your food warm so you never have to worry about the food getting stale.
- Boil and simmer – This feature allows the food to boil and then switches to simmer function automatically. Food will continue to simmer according to the timer that you have selected.
- Steam and cook – This feature allows you to slowly steam foods such as meat, vegetables, and many others.
- Large capacity – This model gives you the option to cook from 4 to 20 cups of rice. With its digital features, you can be sure to have evenly cooked rice no matter what kinds of rice you are cooking.
There are lots of good things going for this rice cooker that can make it your final choice and some of which are the following:
- It can cook any kind or type of rice – Whether it is white, brown, or any type of rice, this rice cooker and steamer can cook them all and give you evenly cooked rice all the time.
- Non-stick base and steamer – No need to worry about rice sticking on the side and base of the cooker since it has a non-stick and no-burn feature.
- Detachable parts – It is easy to clean because all parts are detachable and dishwasher safe.
- Delay-timer feature – This feature is unique and allows you to time when the rice cooker will start cooking the rice or steam the vegetables. Perfect for timing when to serve the food on the table.
Hamilton Beach Digital Simplicity Rice Cooker has many pros as against cons and the positive reviews it continues to receive from customers make it a great choice for households. It can cook any rice the way you want them cooked and also has features that other rice cooker and steamer brands do not have. Its steamer function is also an advantage because you can cook and steam almost any kind of vegetables, food preparation such as dumplings and even meat.
It is always easy to look for bad features in a product but it is quite difficult to look for a lot of faults in this case. If only to cite something that is negative, it would probably be the plastic steamer and the fact that it is made in China. But with a lot of satisfied customers behind this product, the said minor cons are easily overshadowed.
Tips on Choosing the Best Rice Cooker for You
While you have a choice which rice cooker to buy, a lot of times it is not easy to choose which among those available are the best for your needs. It is easy to just select one of the popular brands or a model with certain features only to realize later that it is not what you actually needed. For this reason, it is important first and foremost to identify your needs and from there determine the best rice cooker for you. On top of this, it is also necessary to understand what makes the best rice cooker so you can end up happy with your purchase.
To help you make the right decision, we would like you to consider the following helpful tips in choosing the best rice cookers in the market nowadays.
Size of the rice cooker
Rice cookers come in many cup sizes or capacities. There are those small enough for a single person and also those that can serve the cooking needs of a big family. By knowing the appropriate size for your needs, you can save on costs as well as electricity. By buying the right size of rice cooker, it can also help prevent waste of food most of the time.
A rice cooker must be able to withstand the demands of everyday cooking. It must be durable enough to last for years so the quality of its manufacturing should be beyond question. If you are buying a rice cooker for the first time or want to try another brand, then reading reviews such as those given here can help a lot in your decision.
Advanced and useful features
There are now fuzzy logic features in some rice cookers and it helps in making sure that you can come up with fluffy and evenly cooked rice all the time. Not only can you cook white rice like an expert but you can also cook other types of rice such as brown rice using the advanced features of some rice cookers. Timer delay is also another feature that is very popular because you can set the time when the rice will start cooking.
Aside from cooking rice, you should also consider a unit that comes with other features such as a steamer, simmer or boil function and other useful features that can make your life easy. With other useful functions it can help you prepare other food and not just rice.
The best rice cooker must have all accessories that are needed to make it a useful unit. Some of the useful and indispensable accessories are measuring cup, rice scooper, and steamer for models with steam function.
Finally, the best rice cooker that you will decide to buy must have parts and/or service warranty. It is easy to get attracted to the features and selling points of a particular brand but you also have to look at the possibility that the unit may unexpectedly breakdown. In such a case, having a warranty and replacement parts readily available can help a lot.